sign a 'prtected' PDF

AndreaC.
Hi all,
This is my scenarios:
- an user download a PDF file created by Jasper Report from system
- the user chose to open the PDF file with the reader instead of download it before,
- the browser download it on the user temporary directory
- when the user try to save this opened PDF to an other directory a copy of the original file was created

that is wrong on my scenario because system had recorded the HASH of the original PDF document on downloading

To prevent this PDF-copy creation on save I adopt this workaround:

<pd4ml:permissions password="empty" strongEncryption="false" rights="34820"/>

Now I have a new requirement, the user should be able to sign this PDF.
Unfortunately the document so created is unmodifiable and all other tried rights configurations except then rights="34820" lose the prevent-PDF-copy-on-save feature.

My question is:
exists some kind of rights configuration that maintains the prevent-PDF-copy-on-save feature but permit to sign the PDF document?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

Re: sign a 'prtected' PDF

Leonard Rosenthol-3
You can’t prevent “copy on save” - that’s a feature of browsers (and other UA’s for the web).

Why do you care about the hash?  Why does it matter if the file is different?

Leonard

On 4/24/15, 4:49 AM, "AndreaC." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>This is my scenarios:
>- an user download a PDF file created by Jasper Report from system
>- the user chose to open the PDF file with the reader instead of download it
>before,
>- the browser download it on the user temporary directory
>- when the user try to save this opened PDF to an other directory a copy of
>the original file was created
>
>that is wrong on my scenario because system had recorded the HASH of the
>original PDF document on downloading
>
>To prevent this PDF-copy creation on save I adopt this workaround:
>
><pd4ml:permissions password="empty" strongEncryption="false"
>rights="34820"/>
>
>Now I have a new requirement, the user should be able to sign this PDF.
>Unfortunately the document so created is unmodifiable and all other tried
>rights configurations except then rights="34820" lose the
>prevent-PDF-copy-on-save feature.
>
>My question is:
>exists some kind of rights configuration that maintains the
>prevent-PDF-copy-on-save feature but permit to sign the PDF document?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Andrea
>

>--

>iText(R) is a registered trademark of 1T3XT BVBA.
>Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
>Please check the keywords list before you ask for examples: http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php

Re: sign a 'prtected' PDF

AndreaC.
Hi Leonard, thanks for your response.
This document is an official document, created and identified by System with his HASH digest.
Content of this document can't be modified, but user should be able to sign it and re-upload on system.

The signature should be a CADES or PADES signature, and in case a CADES signature, the system perform the hash matching check.

Andrea

Re: sign a 'prtected' PDF

Leonard Rosenthol-3
The correct way to do that with PDF is to use a Certifying Signature at creation time.

Leonard

On 4/27/15, 3:15 AM, "AndreaC." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Leonard, thanks for your response.
>This document is an official document, created and identified by System with
>his HASH digest.
>Content of this document can't be modified, but user should be able to sign
>it and re-upload on system.
>
>The signature should be a CADES or PADES signature, and in case a CADES
>signature, the system perform the hash matching check.
>
>Andrea
>

>--

>iText(R) is a registered trademark of 1T3XT BVBA.
>Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
>Please check the keywords list before you ask for examples: http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php

Re: sign a 'prtected' PDF

AndreaC.
This post was updated on .
Thanks for your time.

Just another question:
is it possible to create a PDF rights mask in order to permit only signing and deny the all others permissions?

Andrea

Re: sign a 'prtected' PDF

Leonard Rosenthol-3
No.