itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

rafsal
Hello my name is Raffaele, i'm italian student,

I'm using a OCR library that have recognized the text in a Tiff image.
The library output show me a list of word that has the following values:

double word.Confidence;
int word.Blanks;
int word.Bottom;
int word.FontIndex;
int word.Formating;
int word.Left;
int word.LineIndex;
int word.PointSize;
int word.Right;
object tag = word.Tag;
string word.Text;
int word.Top;

My dream is to create a PDF searchable document that has in the front-layout the input TIFF image
and in the back-layout the text.
Is it possible??? If yes, how can I do???

Many many thanks for interest.

RAF

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Fabrizio Accatino
try this...

1 - create a new pdf
2 - add a new page
3 - add plain text (use white as text color)
4 - add the tiff (it covers all the page)

Fabrizio

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

rafsal
Fabrizio,

this is my C# code and with it, I can create a PDF image.

But I need to add text in BACK-LAYOUT using the OCR values (see previous message).

Can you help me with C# code  ???

Thanks

string pdf = @"C:\test.pdf";
Bitmap bmp = new Bitmap(@"C:\test.tif");
System.Drawing.Image image = bmp;
// step 1: creation of a document-object with document-metadata
Document document = new Document(PageSize.A4);
// step 2: creation of the writer
PdfWriter writer = PdfWriter.GetInstance(document, new FileStream(pdf, FileMode.OpenOrCreate));
// step 3: open the document
document.Open();
// step 4: grab the ContentByte and do some stuff with it
PdfContentByte cb = writer.DirectContent;

      // step 4.1: grab the Image
      RandomAccessFileOrArray rfa = new RandomAccessFileOrArray(imageToByteArray(image));
      iTextSharp.text.Image img = iTextSharp.text.pdf.codec.TiffImage.GetTiffImage(rfa, 1);
      img.SetAbsolutePosition(0, 0);
      img.ScaleAbsolute(594f, 842f);
      cb.AddImage(img);

      // step 4.2: grab the Text

         ???_OCR values (see previous message)_???

// step 5: we close the document
document.Close();

Fabrizio Accatino wrote
try this...

1 - create a new pdf
2 - add a new page
3 - add plain text (use white as text color)
4 - add the tiff (it covers all the page)

Fabrizio

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Fabrizio Accatino
Hello,

swap Step 4.1 with Step 4.2.  You must place the text, than place the tif image.

fabrizio

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Kevin Day
I believe that there is a font rendering mode that renders the font invisibly.

Section 9.3.6 - Table 106 - Mode = 3

Not sure if iText supports that rendering mode, but that would be far preferable than messing with Z-order and font color.

If you do use that rendering mode, then you want the text to appear *above* the image in the z-order.

- K

From: "Fabrizio Accatino" [hidden email]
To: "Post all your questions about iText here" [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:23:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [iText-questions] itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Hello,

swap Step 4.1 with Step 4.2.  You must place the text, than place the tif image.

fabrizio

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Leonard Rosenthol
DO NOT use white text...

Instead, use "Text Render Mode 3" which is "invisible text".  And then
you don't have to embed the font...

Leonard

On Nov 24, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Fabrizio Accatino wrote:

> try this...
>

> 1 - create a new pdf
> 2 - add a new page
> 3 - add plain text (use white as text color)
> 4 - add the tiff (it covers all the page)
>

> Fabrizio

> Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php

swap Step 4.1 with Step 4.2.  You must place the text, than place the tif image.

fabrizio

Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Kevin Day
I don't have enough experience with doing this to say for sure - maybe Acrobat just ignores z-ordering when it processing selection gestures and/or text hi-lighting - but I kind of think the z-order is important here (Acrobat will certainly allow you to find text if it is below the image - but will it hi-light the found text?).

- K

swap Step 4.1 with Step 4.2.  You must place the text, than place the tif image.

fabrizio

Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

rafsal
Thanks for interest,

but I need to export TIFF-image's content-Text to a PDF document where:
1) the text will be Searchable using Acrobat Reader "find" (or other PDF readers);
2) the text will be Selectable for "copy & paste" it on word-processor;

I have this values to add in PDF export (from TIFF):
----------------------
string word.Text;
int word.Blanks;
int word.Top;
int word.Bottom;
int word.Right;
int word.Left;
int word.Formating;
int word.FontIndex;
int word.LineIndex;
int word.PointSize;
object tag = word.Tag;
----------------------

Have I all necessary values???
If yes, can I have a sample-code of implementation ???

Many many thanks for interest.

RAF

***************************************

Leonard Rosenthol wrote

Thanks for interest

From: Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@pdfsages.com>
To: Post all your questions about iText here <itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:09:35 +0100

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________ iText-questions mailing list iText-questions@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/itext-questions Buy the iText book:  http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php ------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id

------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

Re: itextsharp for reproduce PDF searchable form TIFF image

Kevin Day
At this stage, you have enough information to do what you need.  Just place the TIFF image on the page, then place a bunch of words at the appropriate top and left coordinates  Set the font size (and possibly type).  There are plenty of examples on how to do each of those - all you have to do is pull it together.

- K

From: rafsal [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 02:24:15 -0800 (PST)

Kevin Day wrote:

> I don't have enough experience with doing this to say for sure - may be
> Acrobat just ignores z-ordering when it processing selection gestures
> and/or text hi-lighting - but I kind of think the z-order is important
> here (Acrobat will certainly allow you to find text if it is below the
> image - but will it hi-light the found text?).
> &nbsp;
> - K
> &nbsp;

JonyGreen
You can try this free online ocr to extract text from tiff image, it can save the recognized text to searchable PDF file.