Quantcast

Re: Chinese fonts, and chinese fonts with chinese names

Re: Chinese fonts, and chinese fonts with chinese names

Y Fang-2
I'm trying to write PDFs with Chinese fonts. It seems to work fine with default windows fonts that support Chinese, and also with Chinesefonts I download off the internet... except for the ones that actually have Chinese names.

Using a simple test:
-----------
BaseFont baseFont = BaseFont.CreateFont(@"C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\msyh.TTF", BaseFont.IDENTITY_H, BaseFont.EMBEDDED);
Font font = new Font(baseFont, 12, Font.NORMAL);
document.Add(new Paragraph("Hello! 你好!", font));
-----------
msyh.ttf is "Microsoft YaHei", a font on Vista computers by default. Both the english and chinese hello shows up.

I then downloaded the first font from this website: http://www.sinosplice.com/chinese/fonts/
The font name is "STXinwei" and the file is C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\STXINWEI.TTF
Once again works fine.

I then downloaded the first font from this website: http://www.chinese-tools.com/resources/free-chinese-fonts.html
The font name is "汉鼎繁古印" and the file is C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\HDZB_5.TTF
The program produces a blank PDF, even the english characters do not show up.

I've tried it with various downloaded fonts. It seems if the font name (the one that actually shows up if you go to C:\Windows\Fonts in windows explorer, or select it from the font list in say...Microsoft Word program) is not in english (even though the file name is in english characters)... the font simply will not work.

Is this supposed to happen? Is it a problem/limitation with iTextSharp, something I'm doing wrong, or actually an issue with these fonts I'm downloading?

I don't know if this is related, but I also notice the fonts with chinese names have funny postscript names.

According to "baseFont.PostscriptFontName", the postscript name for HDZB_5.TTF is "By JOSSQ-DMF in BeiJing"

Click Here View photos of singles in your area

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Chinese fonts, and chinese fonts with chinese names

Paulo Soares-3
The font is not Unicode, it's Big5.

Paulo

Aviso Legal:
Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao destinatário. Pode conter informação confidencial ou legalmente protegida. A incorrecta transmissão desta mensagem não significa a perca de confidencialidade. Se esta mensagem for recebida por engano, por favor envie-a de volta para o remetente e apague-a do seu sistema de imediato. É proibido a qualquer pessoa que não o destinatário de usar, revelar ou distribuir qualquer parte desta mensagem.

Disclaimer:
This message is destined exclusively to the intended receiver. It may contain confidential or legally protected information. The incorrect transmission of this message does not mean the loss of its confidentiality. If this message is received by mistake, please send it back to the sender and delete it from your system immediately. It is forbidden to any person who is not the intended receiver to use, distribute or copy any part of this message.

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Chinese fonts, and chinese fonts with chinese names

Ellien
Sorry, if this is slightly off topic, but I thought it might be helpful to you.

At http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com you can enroll the best Chinese language courses, and I think you should be interested in the Chinese character courses.