Quantcast

Question on PDF Printing

Payal Subhash

Hello All:

In our application we have a need to print a PDF stream from Websphere Container to a printer. Below are the steps in the process, I want to know whether iText would support it –

  1. Based on a User action on the application Screen the Java logic in the container gives a call to reporting software (Actuate) which is housed on another server
  2. A PDF byte stream is retrieved from the reporting software
  3. Making use of iText route the PDF byte stream to a designated printer.

Do let me know if this can be done, or if there is any other means to achieve the same.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Subhash

Cognizant Technology Solutions

Tel           : (412) 234-5150

Fax          : (412) 236-8195

Email        : [hidden email]

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(16b)

Re: Question on PDF Printing

blowagie
Payal Subhash wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> In our application we have a need to print a PDF stream from Websphere
> Container to a printer. Below are the steps in the process, I want to
> know whether iText would support it –
>

> 1. Based on a User action on the application Screen the Java logic in
> the container gives a call to reporting software (Actuate) which is
> housed on another server

This is not iText related. Can Actuate be addressed remotely? Are remote
services (a J2EE container) available on the other server? Those are
questions you should ask yourself.

> 2. A PDF byte stream is retrieved from the reporting software

Suppose this is possible. You can create a PdfReader object with this
stream and perform postprocessing on this PDF. If postprocessing isn't
necessary, why use iText?

> Making use of iText route the PDF byte stream to a designated printer.

Printing is always platformdependent. iText has an Executable class that
can be used on Windows, but it doesn't print files in memory. It just
calls Adobe Reader and lets the Viewer print the document.

> Do let me know if this can be done, or if there is any other means to
> achieve the same.

I think you should look for another solution.
Personally, I would look if Actuate can't print the file or provide a PS
version that can be sent to a printer directly. Maybe I'd use a PDF2PS
convertor. Anyway, I don't think iText is the tool you need in this case.
br,
Bruno