Extract PDF embedded images using iText

java.geek
Hi All, I am trying to extract images from pdf document using iText library.

I am able to create the instance of only JPEG format(*.jpg, *.jpeg, *.jpe).
**** Image imageObject = Image.getInstance(image); ****
Not other format images are embedded in PDF document.

public void extractImagesInfo(){
                try{
                        PdfReader chartReader = new PdfReader("MyPdf.pdf");
                 for (int i = 0; i < chartReader.getXrefSize(); i++) {
                  PdfObject pdfobj = chartReader.getPdfObject(i);
                  if (pdfobj != null && pdfobj.isStream()) {
                    PdfStream stream = (PdfStream) pdfobj;
                    PdfObject pdfsubtype = stream.get(PdfName.SUBTYPE);
                    //System.out.println("Stream subType: " + pdfsubtype);
                    if (pdfsubtype != null && pdfsubtype.toString().equals(PdfName.IMAGE.toString())) {
                byte[] image = PdfReader.getStreamBytesRaw((PRStream) stream);
                Image imageObject = Image.getInstance(image);
                System.out.println("Resolution" + imageObject.getDpiX());
                System.out.println("Height" + imageObject.getHeight());
                System.out.println("Width" + imageObject.getWidth());

                    }
                  }
                }
                }catch(Exception e){
                e.printStackTrace();
                }

        }

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

Leonard Rosenthol-3
PDF images are NOT in a standard format - they are "arrays of color values" in a specific colorspace with a certain number of bits per component and potentially processed with one or more "filters".  Details are described in ISO 32000-1.

As such, you will need to extract the image stream into some "image processing library" that knows what to do with the various structures and then can also, possibly, save them out to various image formats.   JAI is probably a good place to look.

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

java.geek
The way I am extracting images input stream is wrong.
byte[] im = PdfReader.getStreamBytesRaw((PRStream)(stream));
InputStream inputStream = new ByteArrayInputStream(im);
BufferedImage bufferedImage= ImageIO.read(inputStream);

even I used the above code to create the image instance of image input stream,
Its working fine with the jpeg images are embedded in pdf document not with other images.
java.io.IOException: The byte array is not a recognized imageformat.

Getting error message
Leonard Rosenthol-3 wrote
PDF images are NOT in a standard format - they are "arrays of color values" in a specific colorspace with a certain number of bits per component and potentially processed with one or more "filters".  Details are described in ISO 32000-1.

As such, you will need to extract the image stream into some "image processing library" that knows what to do with the various structures and then can also, possibly, save them out to various image formats.   JAI is probably a good place to look.

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

iText mailing list
Quoting "java.geek" <[hidden email]>:

> The way I am extracting images input stream is wrong.

That's correct.

> byte[] im = PdfReader.getStreamBytesRaw((PRStream)(stream));
> InputStream inputStream = new ByteArrayInputStream(im);

With the above two lines, you get the bits and bytes
from the image, but you're completely ignoring the
stream dictionary. Also: some types of images need more
than one stream (e.g. JBIG).

> BufferedImage bufferedImage= ImageIO.read(inputStream);

The above line will only work if the stream bytes are
self-contained and do not involve any other data to know
what the image looks like.

> java.io.IOException: The byte array is not a recognized imageformat.

That's normal: the bits and bytes can't be interpreted
because you're ignoring plenty of other information about
the image that is present in the PDF.

And that's as far as free support on this list goes.

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

java.geek
Could you please explain me more ?
It will be good if you will provide some code snippet here of your suggestions below.

Thanks in advance :)

1T3XT info wrote
Quoting "java.geek" <java.geek@rediffmail.com>:

> The way I am extracting images input stream is wrong.

That's correct.

> byte[] im = PdfReader.getStreamBytesRaw((PRStream)(stream));
> InputStream inputStream = new ByteArrayInputStream(im);

With the above two lines, you get the bits and bytes
from the image, but you're completely ignoring the
stream dictionary. Also: some types of images need more
than one stream (e.g. JBIG).

> BufferedImage bufferedImage= ImageIO.read(inputStream);

The above line will only work if the stream bytes are
self-contained and do not involve any other data to know
what the image looks like.

> java.io.IOException: The byte array is not a recognized imageformat.

That's normal: the bits and bytes can't be interpreted
because you're ignoring plenty of other information about
the image that is present in the PDF.

And that's as far as free support on this list goes.

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

Leonard Rosenthol-3
I gave you a VERY complete answer earlier on the list, but you ignored it :(.

Perhaps if you re-read my answer and then asked some questions about it, that might help...

1T3XT info wrote:

> Quoting "java.geek" <[hidden email]>:
>

>> The way I am extracting images input stream is wrong.
>
> That's correct.
>
>> byte[] im = PdfReader.getStreamBytesRaw((PRStream)(stream));
>> InputStream inputStream = new ByteArrayInputStream(im);
>
> With the above two lines, you get the bits and bytes
> from the image, but you're completely ignoring the
> stream dictionary. Also: some types of images need more
> than one stream (e.g. JBIG).
>
>> BufferedImage bufferedImage= ImageIO.read(inputStream);
>
> The above line will only work if the stream bytes are
> self-contained and do not involve any other data to know
> what the image looks like.
>
>> java.io.IOException: The byte array is not a recognized imageformat.
>
> That's normal: the bits and bytes can't be interpreted
> because you're ignoring plenty of other information about
> the image that is present in the PDF.
>
> And that's as far as free support on this list goes.

> Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php
> Check the site with examples before you ask questions:
> http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/
> You can also search the keywords list:
> http://1t3xt.info/tutorials/keywords/

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

ChristinaD
Hi Leo,

below is my pdfstream{/Filter=/DCTDecode, /Type=/XObject, /Length=52803, /BitsPerComponent=8, /Height=375, /ColorSpace=/DeviceRGB, /Subtype=/Image, /Width=500}

byte[] imagedata= PdfReader.getStreamBytesRaw((PRStream) stream);
int width = Integer.parseInt((stream.get(PdfName.WIDTH)).toString());
int height = Integer.parseInt((stream.get(PdfName.HEIGHT)).toString());
int bpc = Integer.parseInt((stream.get(PdfName.BITSPERCOMPONENT)).toString());
int components = 3;
Image img = Image.getInstance(width, height, components, bpc, imagedata);

Facing proble:
 * Getting 0 dpi : img.getDpiX()
 * Tried to write this image in document then not getting the proper image like original.

img.scalePercent(20.0f);
document.add(img);

* Below code is working fine with the jpeg images embedded in pdf document.
Image img = Image.getInstance(imagedata);

Leonard Rosenthol-3 wrote
PDF images are NOT in a standard format - they are "arrays of color values" in a specific colorspace with a certain number of bits per component and potentially processed with one or more "filters".  Details are described in ISO 32000-1.

As such, you will need to extract the image stream into some "image processing library" that knows what to do with the various structures and then can also, possibly, save them out to various image formats.   JAI is probably a good place to look.

Check the site with examples before you ask questions: http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

Leonard Rosenthol-3
You're making progress!

What you are still missing the processing of /Filter.  When /Filter == /DCTDecode then you can leave the data "unfiltered" and treat it as a JPEG, due to a special case in PDF.  However, for all other values of /Filter, you need to DECODE the data and then treat that as the image data.  You may need to use something such as JAI to then convert that information into a usable image format.

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol-3 wrote:

> PDF images are NOT in a standard format - they are "arrays of color
> values" in a specific colorspace with a certain number of bits per
> component and potentially processed with one or more "filters".  Details
> are described in ISO 32000-1.
>
> As such, you will need to extract the image stream into some "image
> processing library" that knows what to do with the various structures and
> then can also, possibly, save them out to various image formats.   JAI is
> probably a good place to look.

Narek_88
Can you please advise how I can decode monochrome TIFF image data from PDF to get image data?

Thanks,
Narek

Re: Extract PDF embedded images using iText

blowagie
1. We're 2016 and you're replying to a thread dating from 2009. Seriously? DO NOT HIJACK AN OLD QUESTION.
2. Nabble is not an official forum for iText. Please read http://itextpdf.com/support and post your question on StackOverflow.