ExceptionConverter: com.itextpdf.text.DocumentException: charter/resources/fonts/arialbd.ttf is not a true type file.

ExceptionConverter: com.itextpdf.text.DocumentException: charter/resources/fonts/arialbd.ttf is not a true type file.

Liviu Florin Copot
Dears,

I am trying to understand an error we start receiving in production environment, after many days of normal behavior. As a result of this error users receive an invalid PDF.

The error stack is below:

ExceptionConverter: com.itextpdf.text.DocumentException: charter/resources/fonts/arialbd.ttf is not a true type file.
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.TrueTypeFontSubSet.createTableDirectory(TrueTypeFontSubSet.java:237)
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.TrueTypeFontSubSet.process(TrueTypeFontSubSet.java:133)
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.TrueTypeFont.writeFont(TrueTypeFont.java:1312)
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.FontDetails.writeFont(FontDetails.java:283)
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfWriter.addSharedObjectsToBody(PdfWriter.java:1304)
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfWriter.close(PdfWriter.java:1212)
at com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfDocument.close(PdfDocument.java:807)
at com.itextpdf.text.Document.close(Document.java:416)
at ec.europa.eu.eacea.pdf.FormattingPdfPages.generateUCCharterForm(FormattingPdfPages.java:279)
at ec.europa.eu.eacea.pdf.FormattingPdfPages.getPdfPages(FormattingPdfPages.java:178)
at ec.europa.eu.eacea.controller.PrintCharterController.doPrint(PrintCharterController.java:62)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1650.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.support.HandlerMethodInvoker.invokeHandlerMethod(HandlerMethodInvoker.java:176)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:436)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.handle(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:424)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:950)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:859)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:883)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:781)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper$ServletServiceAction.run(StubSecurityHelper.java:227)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper.invokeServlet(StubSecurityHelper.java:125)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute(ServletStubImpl.java:300)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:26)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:83)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
at ec.europa.eu.eacea.utils.RedirectFilter.doFilter(RedirectFilter.java:31)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
at ec.europa.eu.eacea.utils.UrlFilter.doFilter(UrlFilter.java:40)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.wrapRun(WebAppServletContext.java:3715)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:3681)
at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:120)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.securedExecute(WebAppServletContext.java:2277)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.execute(WebAppServletContext.java:2183)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.run(ServletRequestImpl.java:1454)
at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:209)
at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:178)

The file referenced "charter/resources/fonts/arialbd.ttf" exists and it is the same for all environments, where the problem is not occuring, so I am ruling out posibility of the file beeing corrupt.

I do not understand why all of a sudden it is reported as "not a true type", while it was "good enough" for many weeks.

Also, I am assuming that if, for some reasons, java process could no longer access the file, it would throw another IO exception, not "not a true type file".

Can somebody please provide any help?

We plan to restart the servers during some maintenance period. Hopefully the error will go away, but I am afraid the error may appear again.

Environment is linux redhat 5.7, weblogic 10.3.5, java 1.6_, itextpdf-5.3.5.jar

Thank you in advance,

Liviu

Re: ExceptionConverter: com.itextpdf.text.DocumentException: charter/resources/fonts/arialbd.ttf is not a true type file.

arun.xavier
Hello,

Did you solve this issue? I am getting the same issue. We have tested working of pdf in our local systems, test servers and later updated on production server. After some days it shows an error like this.

Please help me with this