Quantcast

Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Taher Dhilawala

Hello All,

I have a blank PDF created on the server. I want to populate the fields in the PDF using iTextSharp. Also, there is a “Save” button in the PDF. I want to set the action on the Save Button  such as when the user clicks on Save in PDF, the PDF posts itself to an ASPX page. I am able to fill the fields from Database. But I am unable to set the action on the Save button. This is what I am trying to do..

Please help.

public void SetFormAction(string btnName, string url)

        {

            PushbuttonField newBtn = mFormFields.GetNewPushbuttonFromField(btnName);

            newBtn.Options = PushbuttonField.VISIBLE_BUT_DOES_NOT_PRINT;

            PdfFormField pff = newBtn.Field;

            pff.SetAdditionalActions(PdfName.U, PdfAction.CreateSubmitForm(url, null, PdfAction.SUBMIT_HTML_FORMAT)) // PdfName.U stands for Mouse Up event on the button

            mFormFields.ReplacePushbuttonField(btnName, pff); // mFormFields is stamper.AcroFields

        }

Regards,

Taher N Dhilawala

Sr. Software Engineer

[hidden email] | http://www.inszoom.com

Visit www.migrantplanet.com for updates on Global immigration

Follow us on:  1299503485_linkedin   1299504586_twitter   1299503325_facebook

INSZoom.com, Inc.Immigration and I-9 Compliance

An IS0 27001 & ISO 9001 company | San Ramon, CA | London, UK | Bangalore, India

Confidentiality Statement: The content of this message is INSZoom Confidential. It may contain privileged, confidential information, which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete this message from your computer system.

P   Please do not print this email until it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

iText mailing list
Op 15/03/2011 6:29, Taher Dhilawala schreef:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a blank PDF created on the server. I want to populate the fields
> in the PDF using iTextSharp. Also, there is a “Save” button in the PDF.

Please answer counter-questions before launching a new question
(both on this last as to the consultancy address).

Did you read this answer:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.lib.itext.general/56348

What is the purpose of the "Save" button?
Is the form Reader Enabled?
If not, what makes you think the "Save" button will work.
Or is it a "Save as" button?

> I want to set the action on the Save Button such as when the user clicks
> on Save in PDF, the PDF posts itself to an ASPX page.

Why are you using the free mailing list to post an impossible
question about a "Save" button that needs to "Post" data,
and at the same time using the not-free consultancy address
to ask a question that is answered in the book? That's very odd.

There's an example "ReplaceURL.java" on page 450 of the book:
listing 13.17, method "manipulatePdf" in http://1t3xt.be/?124

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Taher Dhilawala

Hello,

I tried doing what is given in book.. But still not able to that.. It’s throwing error for me.

And why do you say that it’s impossible to do what I m trying to do?

Below the VB.net version of the code given in book. It does not work

Dim sB As AcroFields.Item = mFormFields.GetFieldItem(btnName) 'btnName is the name of the "Submit" button

Dim field As PdfDictionary = sB.merged(0)

Dim action As PdfDictionary = field.GetAsDict(PdfName.A)

Dim f As PdfDictionary = action.GetAsDict(PdfName.F)

f.Put(PdfName.F, New PdfString(url))

Regards,

Taher N Dhilawala

Op 15/03/2011 12:28, Taher Dhilawala schreef:

Hello,

I tried doing what is given in book.. But still not able to that.. It’s throwing error for me.

How can help you if you're not even telling us which error is thrown?
This is very frustrating.
You pretend you want help, but you're not allowing us to help you.

And why do you say that it’s impossible to do what I m trying to do?

What do you mean when you say you have a "Save" button?

Normally "Save" means that you want to allow the user to save
a filled in form locally. That's not possible if the form isn't
reader enabled.

Maybe you say "Save", meaning "Submit" or "Post", but if so:
why are you saying "Save"? That's confusing.

In your initial question you said that you wanted to "add" a
submit to the save button. That sounded like you wanted to
chain two actions: 1. submit to server, 2. save locally.

This could be seen as a security hazard.
It wouldn't surprise me if Adobe Reader prevented this.

PLEASE ANSWER THE INITIAL COUNTER-QUESTION:
can you create a PDF that shows the desired behavior using Adobe Acrobat?
If so, can you share such a PDF?

Below the VB.net version of the code given in book. It does not work

The standard answer to "It doesn't work" questions can be found here:
http://support.itextpdf.com/node/26
It works for us!!! It's not funny when somebody says it doesn't work
without providing any proof. You may think this is an unfriendly answer,
but that's what you get if you post an unfriendly question.
Don't say "It doesn't work" without any proof.

For instance:

Dim sB As AcroFields.Item = mFormFields.GetFieldItem(btnName) 'btnName is the name of the "Submit" button

Dim field As PdfDictionary = sB.merged(0)

Dim action As PdfDictionary = field.GetAsDict(PdfName.A)

Are you sure the A key is present in the dictonary named field?
Maybe action equals null.
In that case, your problem is self-inflicted, and the next line will throw an error:

Dim f As PdfDictionary = action.GetAsDict(PdfName.F)

f.Put(PdfName.F, New PdfString(url))

Be more specific if you want us to help you.

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Taher Dhilawala

I think I didn’t give the full scenario here.. Sorry.. my apologies….

I have a “SUBMIT” button (I confused you all as it is named as Save in the PDF I m using, see attachment).

I do not want to SAVE the PDF locally. When my PDF loads in the browser of the user it will have 90% of the fields pre populated from the Database (user account). The remaining 10% needs to be filled by the user and click on “SUBMIT” button to save the information back to database. Also there is a submit & close button which will submit to Database (via an ASPX page on the server) and then close the PDF (which is inside the browser).

The code below (taken from book, itext in action).. gives an “object reference error” on the highlighted line.. Please let me know how to go about it..

Dim sB As AcroFields.Item = mFormFields.GetFieldItem(btnName) 'btnName is the name of the "Submit" button

Dim field As PdfDictionary = sB.merged(0)

Dim action As PdfDictionary = field.GetAsDict(PdfName.A)

Dim f As PdfDictionary = action.GetAsDict(PdfName.F)

f.Put(PdfName.F, New PdfString(url))

Regards,

Taher N Dhilawala

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Taher Dhilawala

The error is coming in this line..

Dim f As PdfDictionary = action.GetAsDict(PdfName.F)

And sorry, I forgot the attachment in the last email…

AR-11.pdf (163K) Download Attachment

Op 16/03/2011 5:16, Taher Dhilawala schreef:

The error is coming in this line..

Dim f As PdfDictionary = action.GetAsDict(PdfName.F)

And sorry, I forgot the attachment in the last email…

The action parameter is null due to the nature of your PDF document.
I hear from the people at iText Consultancy that they've made you a POC:
http://itextpdf.org/temp/AR-11.pdf
So there's no need for me to take another look at the problem.

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Taher Dhilawala

Yes, iText Consultancy have made a POC for us. I am aware of the fact that we need to buy iText License in order to use it in our production environment. But just out of curiosity.. why my below code does not work?

It’s a different code from what I have shown before….

Dim newBtn As PushbuttonField = mFormFields.GetNewPushbuttonFromField(btnName)

        newBtn.Options = PushbuttonField.VISIBLE_BUT_DOES_NOT_PRINT

        Dim pff As PdfFormField = newBtn.Field

        pff.Action = PdfAction.CreateSubmitForm(url, Nothing, PdfAction.SUBMIT_PDF)

        mFormFields.ReplacePushbuttonField(btnName, pff)

In the PDF, it shows on tooltip that action is set.. But when I click the “Submit” button.. nothing happens.. (Please see screenshot)

Op 16/03/2011 9:57, Taher Dhilawala schreef:

Yes, iText Consultancy have made a POC for us. I am aware of the fact that we need to buy iText License in order to use it in our production environment. But just out of curiosity.. why my below code does not work?

Please don't expect me to answer this.
I would have to copy too many pages from ISO-32000-1
and from the "iText in Action" book to explain what's wrong.
An IDE would give you the warning "too many errors".
It's better for you to wait for the code from iText Consultancy.
They will clarify.

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Mark Storer-2
Please give use PDFs, not screen shots.  The PDF lets is dig into what's actually going on Beneath The Surface, a screen shot isn't nearly so informative.

--Mark Storer
  Senior Software Engineer
  Cardiff.com

import legalese.Disclaimer;
Disclaimer<Cardiff> DisCard = null;

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Taher Dhilawala

Hello Mark,

Please find attached the PDF which we are using.

Op 18/03/2011 6:59, Taher Dhilawala schreef:

Hello Mark,

Please find attached the PDF which we are using.

This case is closed; a POC was provided:
http://itextpdf.org/temp/AR-11.pdf
Taher has contacted the address for paid consultancy, and will
receive the source code as soon as a Purchase Order is received.

Jay

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

Jay
It would be great for others if this solution would be posted..

Re: Changing action of a existing submit button using iTextSharp

blowagie
If you want the solution, feel free to become a customer of iText Software.