Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as HTTPS certificates?

Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as HTTPS certificates?

Néstor Boscán
Hi

I have a question: Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as HTTPS certificates? Any examples on how tu use those certificates to sign a PDF file?

Regards,

Néstor

Re: Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as HTTPS certificates?

iText mailing list
On 8/31/2015 21:30 PM, Néstor Boscán wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a question: Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as
> HTTPS certificates? Any examples on how tu use those certificates to
> sign a PDF file?

Although it may be possible to sign a PDF using an HTTPS certificate
(after all, it's also a pair of public and private keys), it is usually
not done. Signing PDFs should be done by a public-private key pair that
was created for signing documents.

unsubscribe

Michael Jenkins

On 8/31/2015 21:30 PM, Néstor Boscán wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a question: Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as
> HTTPS certificates? Any examples on how tu use those certificates to
> sign a PDF file?

Although it may be possible to sign a PDF using an HTTPS certificate
(after all, it's also a pair of public and private keys), it is usually
not done. Signing PDFs should be done by a public-private key pair that
was created for signing documents.

Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a
reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php

Re: unsubscribe

Ray Morris
How can I unsubscribe from receiving these emails?

On 8/31/2015 21:30 PM, Néstor Boscán wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a question: Are certificates used to sign PDF files the same as
> HTTPS certificates? Any examples on how tu use those certificates to
> sign a PDF file?

Although it may be possible to sign a PDF using an HTTPS certificate
(after all, it's also a pair of public and private keys), it is usually
not done. Signing PDFs should be done by a public-private key pair that
was created for signing documents.

Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a
reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php

Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a
reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/
http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php

Re: unsubscribe

Marot Laurent
Very surprised reading the following sentence  : "Signing PDFs should be done by a public-private key pair that was created for signing documents."

Signing operation (PDF document or whatever you want) is a two steps operation  : hash & encrypt. And for that, the only crypto element you need is a private key.

One other point  : do you think "HTTPS certificates" really exist ? I only know X509 certificates

Many questions posted to this list can (and will) be answered with a reference to the iText book: http://www.itextpdf.com/book/ Please check the keywords list before you ask for examples:
http://itextpdf.com/themes/keywords.php