2D barcode

Achala Silva

Hello All

I have requirement that I need to store around 2MB data in 2D barcode. Is that possible to do with iText. If not please advise me a way to achieve this requirement

Thanks & Regards,

Achala Kumara Silva

Software Engineer | ZONE24X7

| Tel: +94 11 2887820-4 ext 22 | Fax: +94 11 2887825 |

http://www.zone24x7.com

Re: 2D barcode

iText mailing list
Achala Silva wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have requirement that I need to store around 2MB data in 2D barcode.
> Is that possible to do with iText. If not please advise me a way to
> achieve this requirement

Did your requirement also mention what type of 2D barcode you should
use? If not, how can you be sure the end user will be able to decode the
barcode?

iText has support for two types of 2D barcodes: DataMatrix and PDF417.
The number of characters that can be stored is NOT an iText limitation,
but a limitation in the barcode specification.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Matrix
"Usual data size is from a few bytes up to 2 kilobytes."

And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF417 or "iText in Action" p615: "A
PDF417 barcode can store up to 2170 characters" but also p617: "You can
split the PDF417 barcode into several segments to represent even more
data." (Look for setMacroSegmentId(), setMacroSegmentCount() and
setMacroFileId()).

Although this answer may give you the impression that it's possible to
put 2MB of data into a PDF417 barcode, you'll experience all kinds of
difficulties. I can imagine that plenty of barcode readers/software will
go berserk if it has to deal with that much data.

Please ask whoever wrote the requirements what he or she had in mind.
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA
http://www.1t3xt.com/ - http://www.1t3xt.info

Re: 2D barcode

iText mailing list
Achala Silva wrote:
> I have requirement that I need to store around 2MB data in 2D barcode.

Ask the person who told you you should store 2MB of data to have a look
at http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/resources/intro_to_bc/bcbascs.htm

Achala Silva wrote:
> If you can provide sample code it would be great help to me

You have replied to my personal address.
That is not allowed. Use the MAILING LIST addres.

Also you have misunderstood my reply, because you say:

I also wrote:
 > Ask the person who told you you should store 2MB of data to have
 > a look at
 > http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/resources/intro_to_bc/bcbascs.htm

I gave you that link because it is not related to iText.
Do you see any barcode that is capable to store 2MB in that overview?

With these answers I tried to convince you in a very gentle way that
"the guy who asked you this was crazy" and "his request is absurd".
Apparently being friendly isn't appreciated, so I'll try the unfriendly
approach: you won't get any sample from me.
--
This answer is provided by 1T3XT BVBA
http://www.1t3xt.com/ - http://www.1t3xt.info

Re: 2D barcode

strawberry
yes, it can satisfy you requests. As for me, I used to use this 2D barcode, it also can be used, and now, I think iText is a good one for you,

Re: 2D barcode

calosteward
To encode data to 2d barcode, you need a 2d barcode generator.
Besides, 2d barcode includes qr code, data matrix and pdf 417, I thinks qr code and data matrix is suitable for your request.